In this Kali Linux Tutorial, we show you how to use Net Creds to launch a MITM attack.Net creds is a python based script to sniff login credentials of victim visited the website. Download the Net Creds Tool Here.
Run the script in windows or Linux machine, its recommended to have python compiler to run the script on the windows machine.
Here I have used Kali Linux to sniff out victims network.It’s not necessary to install python in Kali Linux.Kali Linux has inbuild python compiler.
Attackers machine(Kali Linux)
- Execute the script with a command: python net-creds.py -i eth0
- Choose your appropriate interface, here I have used -i eth0 as my interface.
- Net-creds is sniffing out URLs visited to capture clear text network protocols.
- Above illustrated image shows sniffed data has interesting juicy pieces of stuff in GET & POST request of the HTTP protocol.
- Here found banking login credentials in POST Request for demo.testfire.net website.
Check Victims Credentials
- Let us check out sniffed credentials is successfully for login.
- Bingo !!! Log in successful for username & password.
Protocols Net-creds capable to Sniff
- POST loads sent,HTTP form logins/passwords,HTTP basic auth logins/passwords,HTTP searches,FTP logins/passwords,IRC logins/passwords,POP logins/passwords.
- IMAP logins/passwords,Telnet logins/passwords,SMTP,logins/passwords,SNMP community string,NTLMv1/v2 all supported protocols: HTTP, SMB, LDAP and Kerberos.
- HTTP: Sends passwords in clear text
- TELNET: Transfer commands in plain text
- SNMP: Sends passwords in clear text
- POP: Sends passwords in clear text
- FTP: Sends passwords in clear text
- NNTP: Sends passwords in clear text
- IMAP: Sends passwords in clear text
Mitigation for MITM attack
- The first defense against packet sniffers is to use strong authentication, such as one-time passwords.
- Antisniffer tools to detect the use of sniffers on a network.
- Implement cryptographic protocols for network management include Secure Shell Protocol (SSH) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).