Facebook just announced the launch (3D Feature was announced in May but wasn’t launched publicly ) of a new feature on their Mobile App, its called ‘3D Photos Feature‘. This feature makes use of the latest photo mode ‘Portrait Mode’
Facebook manipulates the Portrait Mode images to display the scene in 3D, using the depth information between the subject in the foreground and the background.
Whether it’s a shot of your pet, your friends, or a beautiful spot from your latest vacation, you just take a photo in Portrait mode using your compatible dual-lens smartphone, then share as a 3D photo on Facebook where you can scroll, pan and tilt to see the photo in realistic 3D–like you’re looking through a window.
How to Upload 3D Photos on Facebook
Watch the video tutorial for a quick guide on how to upload your photos on Facebook in 3D, or follow these steps :
- Make a new post
- Tap on the three dots for more options
- Scroll down and select the 3D photo option.
- Post and Enjoy
Guideline for good 3D Photos
Facebook has shared certain tips on how you can achieve good 3D effects in your photos
- Difference of Depth – You’ll get the best results if your main subject is three or four feet away, and to really make it pop, try to capture scenes with multiple layers of depth, including something in the foreground and something in the background
- High Contrast – You’ll get more of the 3D effect when your photo’s subject has contrasting colors—for example, someone wearing a blue shirt standing in front of a blue wall won’t pop as much as someone wearing a different color.
- Texture is Good – You’ll get the best results from subjects that have some texture to them, have solid edges, and aren’t too shiny. Try to avoid transparent objects like clear plastic or glass, as they aren’t always accurately captured by depth sensors.
Which Devices Support Facebook 3D Photos
Currently its rolled out for iOS users with dual lenses and as per Facebook it will eventually roll out for all dual lens cameras which support Portrait Mode. As of now only iPhone 7+, 8+, X and XS support Facebook 3D Photos. I will update this when support for more devices is added.
What do you think about this feature ? more data points for Facebook to enhance their NSA like systems 😉 ?